Please retweet: 9/26 Everything You Need To Know About Web Privacy w/Sean Dakin http://bit.ly/o16ndJ #prodmgmttalk @prodmgmttalk
At our Sept 26, 2011 Global Product Management Talk on Twitter, Sean Dakin, Fellow, Future Of Privacy Forum @seandakin @privacycamp @iscool led us in a discussion of Everything you need to know about web & data privacy, but were afraid to ask. Following is an edited recap of the tweets. Hosts Cindy F. Solomon @cindyfsolomon and Adrienne Tan @brainmates. Use this as a jumping off point to blog your insights and responses.
ABOUT SEAN DAKIN
Sean says, "As a recovering software product manager, I know how important requirements documents are and getting the use cases right in order to deliver a product that wins in the marketplace. I'm excited to talk about Data Privacy and how it is not only important from a regulator perspective, but also from a customer trust perspective. Without customer trust, you cannot expect to win."
MENTIONED DURING TALK
- Privacy Related Legislation http://bit.ly/qKOGVQ
- Pulling the Plug on Privacy http://bit.ly/oLwx49
- Heading Off Privacy Problems—Before They Arise http://on.wsj.com/pKvOBy
- Future of Privacy Forum: Application Privacy http://bit.ly/n3OlOc
- Reverse Robocall http://bit.ly/peDu8z
- Why Privacy by Design is the New Corporate Hotness http://onforb.es/qvErlb
- Privacy by Design: Ann Cavoukian, Ph.D. http://bit.ly/p8rGJs
- Data Facebook keeps http://onforb.es/r50fS2
- Fitbit users tweeting http://tnw.co/oSzMaB
- OnStar backs down http://bit.ly/oyxJfU
- The Role of Privacy by Design in Protecting Consumer Privacy http://bit.ly/rlpvjn
- Designing for Human Sensors, Not Human Barcodes Cory Doctorow At StrataConf http://bit.ly/nKiPFe
- Jeff Jarvis 'Public Parts' a clarion call for even more sharing http://usat.ly/ovi4VQ
- How will the FTC's new digital #privacy rules impact developers? - FierceDeveloper http://bit.ly/oiLP4G
- Facebook’s new features Not as Private as You think http://on.mash.to/nfcWlU
- ProdMgmtTalk If you're doing anything w/customer data (software) important to know what's going on at begin of requirements
- brainmates Product Managers keep on top of data & privacy issues whilst preparing reqs doco. Think about it from start not the end.
- ErikaLAndersen Congressional hearings on privacy were big in 1999-2000, then 9/11 happened
- ProdMgmtTalk 9/11 made a big difference w/Patriat Act "security trumps privacy" @shaundakin
- ErikaLAndersen Alex Kozinski: Pulling Plug on Privacy...How tech made 4th amendment obsolete http://t.co/gcVJVLBi Kashmir Hill once worked for blog that elected Judge Alex Kozinski "super hottie of the fed judiciary". Alex Kozinski is chief judge of Ninth Circuit, largest court immediately below Supreme Court
- ProdMgmtTalk "Lost trust, reputation, customer attrition big costs of Privacy breaches" @shaundakin
- brainmates Acc to @ShaunDakin, magnitude of data & privacy issues have increased as more people are online
- ProdMgmtTalk Today WSJ article re: privacy profession http://on.wsj.com/pKvOBy says @shaundakin
- ErikaLAndersen 4th Amendment: In US Bill of Rights, governs illegal searches and seizures
- PrivacyCamp If you lose customers data you lose that customer for life
- wapolanco @PrivacyCamp Esp if that data then misused by someone.
- j3juliano @wapolanco @PrivacyCamp Not just misuse is a problem - even "acceptable" use may not be *wanted* use
- ProdMgmtTalk Product Managers must respect all data associated & touched by customers
- ProdMgmtTalk "Even if you cancel your subscript w/OnStar - will cont to track your driving" Called for investig. TODAY
- ErikaLAndersen OnStar...helps customers in emergencies - can locate with GPS. OnStar radio commercials: Scared 5-yr-old calls OnStar from a car, middle-of-nowhere, about parent's heart attack
- ProdMgmtTalk OnStar customers Assumed Default "opt out" NOT "opt in" (they were opted in w/o their agreement)
- ErikaLAndersen OnStar: can opt out of continued tracking, but default opt in...no doubt buried in 50 pages fine print
- ProdMgmtTalk @shaundakin explaining what Onstar is to our Aussie colleagues (subscr paid auto service)
- Mack_McCoy Perfect example if why I'll avoid any vehicle with OnStar.
- jbrett @Mack_McCoy are you going to avoid any phone with a GPS? How about any location based service?
- Mack_McCoy @jbrett No. But telecom's have much stricter controls around customer data & LBS are opt-in.
- j3juliano @prodmgmttalk #prodmgmttalk Opt-in vs. opt-out is a major debate in utility industry-what is needed for ops vs. what is "useful" otherwise So e.g., is ops-related energy data necess. opt-in? Then what of data that can be used for marketing?
- wapolanco @j3juliano @wapolanco @PrivacyCamp Very true. Use could be completely legitimate but unwanted by consumer.
- wapolanco Data privacy act of '11 makes parents' checking of child's Facebook activity a felony. Not sure I agree!
- ErikaLAndersen In US, police can't search places where you have "expectation of privacy" (house, car) without warrant...
- Mack_McCoy Yes and sometimes smart-meters aren't optional in some communities.
- j3juliano @Mack_McCoy #prodmgmttalk Right. I'm generally in agreement on that (w/vested interest caution), but it's the data handling that's uncertain
- ErikaLAndersen No "expectation of privacy" exists on Facebook, meaning police may not need warrant to get Facebook records.
- ErikaLAndersen Nothings stops police from doing their own google searches
- j3juliano @ErikaLAndersen I wasn't even aware that there was an expectation they would need to get one now-"freely on the internet etc."
- ProdMgmtTalk "Do Not Track" not a good name says @shaundakin - its not the same as phone/ tech confusing to cust
- wapolanco A2: #dntrack makes it very challenging for advertisers to target products to audience.
- ErikaLAndersen @j3juliano: Exactly. Before police would need warrant to see photos, documents, etc. Now, they just go online.
- brainmates Firefox working on a do not track header in their browser acc to @ShaunDakin
- ErikaLAndersen @j3juliano And under US constitution, this could be fine since once online,no expectation of privacy.
- ProdMgmtTalk Microsoft is creating "tracking protection list" TPL to subscribe (like RSS feed) for adv not track
- j3juliano @wapolanco @prodmgmttalk #prodmgmttalk Then the Q "So why SHOULD it be easy?" In a sense, the data and what it implies is my property
- jbrett Current EU policy:Opt In for tracking, and must be informed consent. US proposals are opt out.
- ProdMgmtTalk Tech solution still being discussed - industry attempting self regulat (don't want DC interven)
- Mack_McCoy @j3juliano I believe people should have a choice. It may be more
expensive, but it should be an option.
- jbrett Isn't it really too late to self-regulate? EU has policy in place
- j3juliano @ErikaLAndersen @prodmgmttalk Exactly: we've been conditioned to "if you don't want Mom to know, don't put it on the Internet"
- PrivacyCamp #dntrack is something that product managers need to know about
for any / all tracking and ads
- jbrett I think people aren't concerned with what ppl know, but how the info is abused
- ProdMgmtTalk Mobile tracking: "At O'reilly conf earlier this year discussed how iphone was recording movements w/o telling anyone"
- ErikaLAndersen @mr_lbs @Mack_McCoy With some phones just take out the battery. Not possible with iPhone.
- wapolanco @j3juliano @wapolanco @prodmgmttalk It shouldn't be easy but possible to target prdcts based on known behavior/wants/needs.
- Mack_McCoy @ErikaLAndersen If u turn the phone off, it's off from a GPS PoV. You
could also put it in a tinfoil hat. ;-p @mr_lbs
- ErikaLAndersen @Mack_McCoy: Really? Other phones you turn off but someone can
still listen in to offline conversations. (See Murdoch scandel)
- jbrett @Mack_McCoy @erikalandersen @mr_lbs Would an RFID wallet work? Much more stylish.
- j3juliano @ErikaLAndersen #prodmgmttalk People R more scared than necess. of sharing what's not understood - and not scared enuf abt. sharing what is! e.g. one can learn much more frm ovrhearing a convrsation than frm 15 min energy data-but the fear is reversed
- Mack_McCoy Please tell me there's a question about Facebook's new features, like Timeline. They have HUGE privacy implications.
- j3juliano @Mack_McCoy #prodmgmttalk Yeah, I have a question. Why didn't I shut down my account a long time ago?
- jbrett @Mack_McCoy Yep...they make just about everything fair game for abuse. That's why legislation MUST focus on abuse, not privacy
- jbrett #prodmgmttalk We have the concept of "Fair Use" in copyright law...how about fair use of shared information?
- j3juliano This is subtle but brilliant - agree RT @jbrett:@Mack_McCoy That's why legislation MUST focus on abuse, not privacy
- Mack_McCoy Some of the bad I referred to last night re: Facebook's new features: total disregard of privacy. http://on.mash.to/nfcWlU #in #ProdMgmtTalk
- ProdMgmtTalk "Privacy by design" Canada Dr. Ann Cavoukian 15 yrs - privacy is win/win at begin of dev cycle http://bit.ly/p8rGJs
- ProdMgmtTalk "Not so private parts" PbD is new corp hotness! Article link from @shaundakin http://onforb.es/r50fS2
- PrivacyCamp Why 'Privacy By Design' Is The New Corporate Hotness - Forbes http://onforb.es/qvErlb l
- evanwolf I think privacy is a pleasant side effect if you give people sufficient control over their personal data.
- ProdMgmtTalk Fitbit socmedia - peop tweet "I just ran" (what if they have sex? Its good for calorie burn) http://bit.ly/nWZg5N
- SteveKoss Seems the number one alibi of Napoleon Hill , fear will ride into the 22ns century as
well….why or ancient law of averages?
- ProdMgmtTalk "I had sex" was going into people's twitter streams - NO personal privacy there...
- ProdMgmtTalk Google’s G+ positioning was more privacy aware than FB.
- jbrett @evanwolf Unfortunately people don't want to think about how to control their data. They want share, and they want to be safe.
- Mack_McCoy @jbrett Yes, but don't lose sight of privacy. It's a fundamental principle of our Constitution. We shouldn't give it away.
- jbrett @Mack_McCoy Too late. We've already given it away. Privacy is really an illusion.
- ProdMgmtTalk "@jbrett FB kills privacy: What does mean & how will it impact legislation and product best practices?"
- ErikaLAndersen @Mack_McCoy @jbrett And yet we are...every time we use a grocery club card, use fast track for tolls, we're sharing info
- ProdMgmtTalk @shaundakin says FB moving from active- if logged into Spotify & FB share what listen to passively. Every Spotify user must login using FB account - unhappy customers
- wapolanco @jbrett @Mack_McCoy
Very true! We have to accept the fact that too many jumped into the #socmed water, both feet, eyes closed!
- SteveKoss True @Mack_McCoy so few read Constitution to see DC Jokers on right, clowns on left doing to it….thus we stuck in middle
- jbrett Somebody said #winning. Everyone do a shot!
- ErikaLAndersen Privacy is dead.. see http://bit.ly/oLwx49 by Alex Kozinski (super hottie) and clerk
- ProdMgmtTalk @shaundakin says FB is winning...2010 summer big Quit FB day, but has grown 10mil since (only 30K quit)
- jbrett @wapolanco FB Timeline has me doing it with my eyes open. I'm looking at #privacy in
a new way now. #socmed
- ProdMgmtTalk FB leads - so target of lots of talk, but people keep using it giving them power over the data
- wapolanco Another great quick read on privacy by design http://bit.ly/rlpvjn
- Mack_McCoy No!! It means people have no idea of the privacy implications. It's too
complex a set of issues.
- ErikaLAndersen Huge disconnect between sharing information and any eventual harm. Very
hard to make connection.
- ProdMgmtTalk Cory Doctorow at #strataconf spoke about this (looking for URL) http://bit.ly/nKiPFe
- wapolanco @jbrett @wapolanco Hope that "now" isn't too late for you ;) I keep my prvcy
ridiculously tight on FB but it wasn't always so.
- brainmates People care about privacy but they don't understand/connect with potential problems so they continue using FB, Soc Media #prodmgmttalk
- ProdMgmtTalk We're at begin of Future of privacy. Research shows people care, but what do they care about? @shaundakin
- PrivacyCamp No #Privacy is not dead.. people do care about privacy
- SteveKoss Always carry the x-files to discover when to rise the draw bridge or lower it to cross into your privacy moat
- ProdMgmtTalk Startups trying to fig out if can make $ managing peop's privacy - what does it look like?
- ErikaLAndersen Other fact: Google "owns" all docs on google docs. Already litigation whether such docs still private/privileged.
- Mack_McCoy If people see how many don't get jobs, successful, etc. because of shared info. We have 10yrs for that to become a big deal. #ProdMgmtTalk
- ProdMgmtTalk Internet is global, so regions' regs & laws don't yet apply to global space
Q7 What are the costs of not "doing privacy right"? (see Sony)
- ErikaLAndersen Sorry about freaking people out privacy/legal issues...lawyers are
freaking out so I'm just passing along
- brainmates The other side of the privacy coin is trust acc to @privacycamp
- wapolanco Most people are starting to pay close attention to online #privacy issues/trends. It has become a household term.
- ErikaLAndersen: Google "owns" all docs on google docs. Already litigation whether such docs still private/privileged.
- ProdMgmtTalk Immed costs: $ fines for data breaches. Sony $60mil hit from playstation - bec. didn't invest upfront
- ErikaLAndersen Trust or not, if company gets subpoena, must turn over info or pay lawyers to fight
- jbrett @wapolanco But I'm seeing greater value in more sharing...I just want to be able to control who and how my shared info is used
- wapolanco @jbrett @wapolanco Correct. The value of "sharing" is immense for both marketers and consumers alike. Prudence is key though. #prodmgmttalk
- wapolanco Thanks all for the great insight. Tons of new knowledge. Oh.. and... Only a little freaked out :)
- ProdMgmtTalk Jeff Jarvis releasing "Public Parts" book http://usat.ly/ovi4VQ will be on #privchat
- PrivacyCamp Don't forget to sign up for www.ReverseRobocall.com !@ReverseRobocall !
- PrivacyCamp Thanks so much for the chat ! #prodmgmttalk > Every Tuesday I co-host a chat called #PrivChat on #Privacy (Noon ET)
- PrivacyCamp How will the FTC's new digital #privacy rules impact developers? - FierceDeveloper http://bit.ly/oiLP4G
Today's stats: 272 tweets generated 392,875 impressions, reaching an audience of 35,703 followers
Please retweet: 9/26 Everything You Need To Know About Web Privacy w/Sean Dakin http://bit.ly/o16ndJ #prodmgmttalk @prodmgmttalk
Global Product Management TalkTM is a weekly mini-product camp Socratic discussion (on Twitter) of pre-posted questions (on Facebook) with live audio of thought leader and co-hosts commenting (on Blogtalkradio).